I have been attending a meditation sangha (once or twice a month) for the past several years. In addition to our meditation, we read aloud from a book about meditation. We have been reading from a wonderful book, chock full of wisdom by Lama Surya Das called FINDING THE BUDDHA WITHIN.
Lama Surya Das mentions several ways we can cultivate mindful awareness and bring meditation, calm, and clarity into our daily activities. Here are just a few (p. 71) for you to try:
- Breathe and smile. Relax. Take a moment to let go, and just be. Enjoy it.
- Do standing meditation, while waiting in line for a movie or bus or train. Just stand there, breathe, and awaken.
- Whenever you sit down or stand up, stop and appreciate a moment of change, of freedom.
- Whenever you cross a threshold, go through a doorway, or enter a room, see it as entering a temple and do so reverently.
- Walk barefoot in the grass or on a thick carpet and feel fully each sensation with your toes and soles.